Monday, November 17, 2008

Control (2007)


THE HEADING

CONTROL
Biographical Drama
Five Stars



PLOT

A portrait of Joy Division vocalist Ian Curtis' life from humble beginnings to his suicide at the age of twenty-three.


ACTING

Actor Sam Riley's portrayal of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis is impeccable. The film captured all that Joy Division was, so much so that at times I felt as though I was watching a documentary. I found myself becoming emotionally involved with the characters sharing in their successes and disappointments. Riley's acting was sincere and believable; I didn't doubt him for a second. Which is saying the least for an actor that was discovered in the produce section of a grocery store from what I hear.


CINEMATOGRAPHY, MUSICAL SCORE, CAMERA SHOTS ETC.

Control was done entirely in black and white; which isn't seen a lot in modern cinema. However, it fit extremely well and gave the movie its own unique feel. The style of the movie is so clean it's sterile. Black and white has never been so breathtaking. Control's soundtrack consisted of Joy Division mostly, which is expected in a movie about the band. The combination of strong black and white images and Joy Division's music left me feeling nostalgic for a time I was never alive to experience.


FINAL COMMENTS


This film may not be for everyone, having heard of the band Joy Division should be considered a prerequesite. With that said you do not have to be a fan of Joy Division to enjoy the movie but don't watch it if you're looking for a movie about rock stardom and drug abuse. Control is about growing up too fast and the conflict that can arise between one's personal and professional lives. Such themes may not be relatable for all, but what is relatable is how there is something so distinctly human about Control. Definitely a must see for any Joy Division fans (of which I expect there are none.)

No comments: